A Brief History
In 1871 Hawke’s Bay Presbytery confirmed the Havelock North Parish as an entity and Rev Alexander Shepherd as the first resident minister. That same year the first church was built in Middle Road where Gilmour's Havelock North pharmacy stands today. The first manse was built alongside. The present site on Columba Way was gifted and the second church building constructed in 1894. A new manse and hall followed in 1900-1901. In 1971, at the time of the centenary, construction of the current building was completed to replace the second church. Over the years, beyond regular religious observances, the congregation has enjoyed social interaction through picnics, garden parties, camps, shared meals and for many years an annual fair, which not only raises funds but brings people together from within the congregation and beyond for planning and preparation.
From early days the young were encouraged through Sunday School, Bible Class and Boys’ Brigade, which, for some, led to training for the Presbyterian Ministry. To date St Columba’s has been served by 21 ministers, associate ministers and assistants.